What is our approach?
Our services provide reduction of uncertainty in subsurface characterization during carbon subsurface storage permit application, construction authorization, and site operations, which requires a consistent approach using data quality and reliability assessment and applying statistically valid data analysis to better understand subsurface variability.
For Companies - we deliver the geologic and engineering site characterization necessary for injection permit application in the development of permanent carbon storage projects:
- Regional geologic setting – stress regime, regional seals, seismicity, and other geologic risks in the area.
- Local subsurface Storage container –establishing a baseline for storage, container capacity, seal integrity – injectivity effectiveness at well locations.
- Permanent storage or reuse of the captured carbon - assessment for CCS or CCUS type of carbon project
For Regulators – for Government Agencies needing to meet IPCC and IEA climate change targets we can:
- Define regions and reservoirs suitable as CCS/CCUS injection sites.
- Assess local geologic parameters for permanent carbon storage.
- Mature CCUS application process.
- Establish site monitoring and closure requirements.
Other U3 Explore services relevant to the delivery of projects that we can provide in collaboration with service partners include:
- Data collection and analysis before, during, and after injection.
- Geospatial enablement (GIS component of the project).
- Geologic site remediation.
- Carbon credits trading platform development
- Blockchain powered carbon credit lifecycle management
- Technology enablement for decarbonization projects
Why the time to act is NOW
Governments and companies need to meet IPCC and IEA climate change targets
CCUS projects are likely to be of a comparable scale to major E&P Capital Projects, so there is need to plan and modify enterprise and individual behaviors in the short term to deliver projects in the coming decades.
For regulators - The government are establishing requirements for CCS/CCUS projects
- Learn from the best practices research to define criteria for subsurface CCS site characterization.
- Governments need assessments to apply for FDI
- Governments need to provide incentives for the businesses to change behaviors
- Governments need to measure and monitor reductions in emissions
- Become [KS1]
For operating companies
- Demonstrate carbon-negative operations
- Participate in transparent and secure carbon credits trading
- Manage injection sites
- Monitor injection sites
- Plan to perform efficient site closures
IPCC = Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change www.ipcc.ch United Nations
IEA = International Energy Agency
OECD = countries members of Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development
[KS1] I think this is maybe beyond our scope. We recognize it needs to be done, but are not in a position to influence how it happens…